Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Debbie New/Yarn Harlot

Well, I got to post my first comment on the Yarn Harlot's site today. Yes, today is a proud moment. I am now officially as geeky as they come -- I say that word "geeky" with love, of course. Similarly, I use the word "nerdy" with love.

Anyway, Ms. Harlot did something fabulous--showed me Debbie New's work. I thought I was so cool because I worked in a yarn shop in MA for a short while and learned SO MUCH about knitting that I had it all figured out.... Well, no, I never really thought that, but I thought that I had at least heard of all of the major designers out there. NOT SO. Debbie's stuff is gorgeous. It really takes knitting to a new level -- that of art, rather than simply craft. Of course, the debate on what is art and what is craft is an enormous one and one I am definitely not suited to tackle, but I think I'm using it right this time. Holy cow! Here is her book: Unexpected Knitting (I'll say!).

I am sooo excited about finding this knitting community online. I had no idea it existed. There is so much out there for me to learn and I can't imagine ever getting to the bottom of it all! But then, what fun would there be if I did?

No comments: